Financial Aid Information
Financial Aid Application Process for Native American Students:
(The source for the financial aid application process and financial aid tips are from The University of Arizona)
- Know your Tribal Higher Education Scholarship Office requirements such as deadlines and what you have to submit. Some tribes require an application, letter of admission, tribal verification documents (such as Certificate of Indian Blood or CIB), class schedule, transcripts, academic plan, etc.
- File a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) the February before you plan on attending UM.
- Apply for a Federal PIN for yourself and your parent at the Federal Student Aid Pin website. You will need the PINs to electronically sign your FAFSA.
- The FAFSA will require the previous year tax information. NOTE: Notify The University of Montana Financial Aid Office if your family income has decreased from what was reported on your taxes. An "Unusual Circumstances" form can can adjust your income changes.
- The University of Montana Priority Deadline is FEBRUARY 15. To meet this deadline, complete the FAFSA using estimated tax information and make corrections after filing. If you cannot file by the priority deadline, limited aid is still available but it is suggested that you complete the FAFSA as soon as possible to be considered for the best types of aid.
- Include The University of Montana's school code of 002536 on the FAFSA.
- Submit your Tribal Financial Need Analysis form to The University of Montana and other scholarship forms to the appropriate offices WELL BEFORE their deadlines! Submit applications annually. BE AWARE OF TRIBAL ANNUAL DEADLINES FOR THE ACADEMIC SCHOOL YEAR! If you would like further information on specific Montana Tribal scholarship information click on the "Scholarships" page, of this website.
- Respond to any requests from the Financial Aid Office promptly.
Financial Aid Tips:
- Monitor personal, financial, and academic information often on CyberBear. To catch any problems and follow the progress of your financial aid and scholarships, click the "Student Services" tab and then click on "Financial Aid."
- Check your official University of Montana email frequently.
- If you receive a different amount of scholarship and/or tribal aid than expected, (or are denied), contact the UM Financial Aid Office to see how this affects you.
- Print and keep all your Financial Aid records in files labeled by academic year (ex. 2009-2010).
- Utilize the staff and resources at American Indian Student Services (AISS) 406-243-6306 or email Fredricka Hunter at email@example.com or Terri Jarvey at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Important Links and Forms:
2011-2012 Dependent Verification Worksheet: Used to verify information provided on FAFSA form for dependent students who have been selected for verification. 2011-2012 Academic year only.
2011-2012 Independent Verification Worksheet: Used to verify information provided on FAFSA form for independent students who have been selected for verification. 2011-2012 Academic year only.
Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Appeal Form: Form used to appeal financial aid suspension. See Satisfactory Academic Progress page.
Extend Federal Financial Aid Eligibility Worksheet--More than 2 semesters ONLY: Form used if you are at maximum credits for financial aid and are going to graduate in more than 2 semesters.
Extend Federal Financial Aid Eligibility Worksheet--1 to 2 semesters ONLY: Form used if you are at maximum credits for financial aid and are going to graduate within 2 semesters and have not appealed before.
American Indian Student Tuition Waiver Application: Complete IF you are: State of MT resident; 1/4 Indian Blood documented with Tribal enrollment card or certificate; and have financial need determined by filling out your FAFSA.
The Cash Course was developed by The University of North Dakota. This web resource has valuable tools that will allow you to learn more about budgeting your money during your college experience. Click on the "Cash Course" heading to get to the website.