The Source Policies
Policy Revised April 15, 2013
BANNERS IN THE UNIVERSITY CENTER
Banners are allowed under the following conditions which are monitored by The Source:
- Banners must be approved by UC Source staff prior to hanging.
- Subject matter must advertise a student group, campus activity, or non-profit organization of interest to students.
- Banners must be hung using string or rope from the bottom rungs of the second floor balcony. Do not use tape or other materials to hang banners.
- All banners must have a 9’ clearance from any stairway and the ground floor of the UC. Additionally, they must have a 5’ clearance from either railing if hanging across the atrium.
- Banners can be hung across the atrium, however banners should not be hung on the bridge connecting both sides of the atrium. This blocks necessary light for plant life in the UC.
- Banners are to be hung and removed by the individual/organization. Banners that are not removed will be held for 24 hours and then discarded.
- Banners not promoting a time sensitive event may remain up for a period of 10 week days, up to twice a semester. This includes banners for regular meetings of religious, political, or special interest groups.
- Banners with specified event dates must be removed within 24 hours of the event, without exception.
- The UC is not responsible for any banners left hanging beyond these time limits.
- The Source staff reserves the right to remove improperly hung banners and hold them for a period of 24 hours before discarding.
- The UC reserves the right to take down all banners without notice for special events.
- No banner should be hung without the sponsor name and phone number or e-mail clearly written on the banner. Contact information needs to be visible from the first floor of the UC.
- Commercial messages and/or product promotions are not allowed, except at building tenant’s business location.
- Local, state, national or international political promotions are not allowed, unless sponsored by an ASUM organization.
- Promotions of ASUM candidates and/or issues are allowed in accordance with ASUM bylaws during ASUM elections.
- Postings are not allowed on the windows of private business, painted surfaces, doors, and elevators.
- Profanity will not be allowed.
- The UC will not allow beer, liquor, or tobacco products (name, trademark, or logo) in advertisements and promotions for, or as sponsors of any University event or activity regardless of location.
POLICY ON ADVERTISING/PROMOTION INVOLVING ALCOHOL/TOBACCO
- As mentioned above, will not use beer, liquor, or tobacco products (name, trademark, or logo) in advertisements and promotions for, or as sponsors of, any University event or activity regardless of location.
- Will not use any University logo, trademark, or name in conjunction with alcoholic beverage or tobacco products or symbols.
- Will not make alcohol or tobacco the focus of any University event, or use availability of beer or other alcoholic beverages or tobacco to promote any University event.
- Will not provide alcoholic beverage or tobacco products as awards or prizes to any person or organization participating in any University event on University property.