Skip to Navigation
Skip to Content
ASUM Off-Campus Renter Center
UC 118, ASUM Suites
Missoula, MT 59812
On-Campus or Off-Campus...Which is Cheaper?
- There are a few factors that determine the cheaper option... If you are going home or leaving Missoula for Winter and Summer Break, living on-campus may be cheaper.
- Furniture (mattress, table, lamps, etc.) Find a list of thrift stores in this guide!
- Household Items (towels, dishes, cooking pans, etc.)
- DEPOSIT: The deposit and first month's rent is due at lease signing. The deposit is usually the same as one month's rent.
Get an idea for your monthly expenses...
- A co-signer is usually required when you do not have income, rental history or credit history.
- A co-signer will be pursued for owed rent and fees if you do not pay.
- Some property management companies require a local co-signer.
- Some companies do not allow the residence halls to be used as "past rental history"
- Companies usually require at least a year of rental history
How is that landlord?
- Ask other students "Who is a good landlord?" and "Who are the landlords' to avoid?"
Ask Questions (to current renter)
- If the current renter is still in the rental, ask him/her what they think about the landlord. Ask if the landlord repairs things on time.
Ask Questions (to landlord)
- "Am I responsible for the snow removal?" Remember, snow needs to be removed from sidewalks by 9 AM or the city can fine you.
- "Am I responsible for the lawn?" We live in a dry climate so watering the lawn is expensive! Also, it is a lot of work to mow a lawn every 3 weeks.
- Some companies will charge twice or three times the normal deposit amount if you don't have rental history, credit history or enough income.
- Not receiving a deposit back is the most common issue we hear so consider if you want to risk putting that much cash down!
Intent to Lease
*Be aware! We have heard complaints about these documents*
- Intent to Lease agreements ask for a deposit for a rental, although you can't move in right away.
- They can be problematic because they sometimes do not have an end date...so they may VERBALLY tell you that it will only be a week, but when you call back a week later, the rental still isn't available. Contact The Renter Center if you have issues.
- You can ask them to put their verbal promise on the document and then all sign.
Get a Receipt!
- Always get a receipt. If the landlord insists that you pay in cash, make sure to get a receipt.
Condition of Premises Report
- You will receive this report with your lease...just like you did when you moved into the dorm.
- Fill it out very thoroughly! The most common issue we hear in The Renter Center is about not getting a deposit back.
- They can charge you for all the niks, scratches and dents if you didn't write it on the report!
*Choose wisely. Humans aren't the easiest creatures to live with!*
- Fill out a roommate agreement found HERE
- Discuss how many parties you will have, when cleaning will be done, etc
- Print a roommate chore chart HERE (or ask The Renter Center for one)