Frequently Asked Questions
Membership & Facility | Fitness Programs | Intramurals | Outdoor Programs | Climbing Wall | Grizzly Pool
Membership and Facility
How much does it cost to become a member of the Fitness and Recreation Center?
What are the benefits of being a member?
All memberships include access to the following facilities, services and programs. Additional fees may apply:
- The Fitness and Recreation Center
- The Grizzly Pool
- Intramural Sports
- Personal Training
- The Outdoor Program (trips, classes, and equipment rental)
- Fitness Classes and Fitness Programs
- The Climbing Wall
Can I bring a guest who is not a member at the Fitness and Recreation Center?
- Yes, only if a current member sponsors the guest. Day passes can be purchased for $7, or a week pass for $20. The sponsor with their valid Griz Card must be present at the time of purchase.
Can my spouse or child become a member?
- "Dependent" memberships are available to a spouse/partner and children. Child members must be between the ages of 5-17.
When does my membership expire?
- Membership expirations vary. Please see our membership page for more details, or call (406) 243-2804 to verify.
How do I apply to work at the Fitness and Recreation Center?
- Applications are available at the Front Desk of the Fitness and Recreation Center.
Is the Fitness and Recreation Center open during holiday breaks?
- Yes, we are open during the holidays, but special hours apply. Please check our hours page during this time or call (406) 243-2802.
Can students use the Fitness and Recreation Center during the summer?
- Yes, the same semester rates apply for the summer months.
Does Campus Recreation have facilities available to rent?
- There are limited facilities to rent and University groups have priority scheduling. Please visit our facilities page or stop by the Front Desk at the Fitness and Recreation Center for more information.
Where do I park when I use the Fitness and Recreation Center?
- You must have a parking pass to park on campus Monday-Friday before 5:00pm. Parking is free after 5:00pm on week days and free on the weekends. The Office of Public Safety is the authority that administers and enforces parking regulations. Refer questions about parking to this office which is located in the Physical Plant, phone
What should I bring with me when I come to the gym?
- Your Griz Card, appropriate/non-revealing clothing, and shoes with a closed-toe and heel, no sandals.
Do I need to bring my own towel?
- You may bring your own towel, or rent one at the Equipment Desk in the Fitness & Recreation Center. Towels rent for $1 a day, or you can purchase our towel service for $8 per semester.
When is the best time to work out?
- If you are an "early bird," we are open at 6 a.m. However, if you choose to work out a little later, the best time is before 2 p.m. The gym is usually most crowded between 4pm and 6pm after classes and work.
Do you have a sauna?
- Yes! There is a dry sauna in both the Women's and Men's locker room in the Fitness & Recreation Center. The Grizzly Pool also has a dry sauna that is open during Lap and Recreation Swim times.
If I have any other questions, who do I contact?
- Contact the Front Desk at 243-2802 or the administration office at the Fitness and Recreations Center at 243-2804.
I am new to exercise and I just don't know where to begin. Do you have any suggestions?
- The fitness staff offers consultations for a small fee. With these you get personalized information regarding your specific needs and fitness goals. And/or you can attend a free equipment orientation where you will learn how to use all the weight training and cardio equipment properly. You can sign up for either of these services at the Fitness and Rec Center front desk.
What is a punch card?
- Punch card classes change monthly. Cards are good for 3 months. Classes are first come first serve. To attend a class in the Fitness and Recreation Center, the Campus Recreation Feemust be paid.
10 Punches - $12.00 | 30 Punches - $30.00 | Unlimited - $45.00
How often does the Fitness Class schedule change?
- Every month. The latest schedule and class descriptions can be found on the Fitness Classes page.
What classes do you recommend for individuals who haven't exercised for awhile or are new to exercise?
- We offer "intro" Yoga and Pilates classes which are always a great place to start. Also, cycling classes are good for the novice exerciser because the resistance is always self selected. Any time you attend a class for the first time ever, please arrive 10 minutes early and tell the instructor so they can address any questions you may have.
Can my child participate in Group Fitness Classes?
- Children ages 5-12 cannot participate in fitness classes. Children ages 13-14 can participate in fitness classes if accompanied by a parent (some class exceptions may apply, see fitness manager). Children ages 15 and up can participate in fitness classes with or without a parent.
Can I bring a guest to class?
- Yes, you can bring a guest to class, but if it is a punch pass class you will need to use one punch from your card to "pay" for them. Our membership policies regarding entrance to the Fitness & Recreation Center still apply, so your guest will either need to be a valid Campus Recreation member or you must sponsor them through one of our guest pass options. More information regarding our membership policies and guest options can be found on the membership page.
What should I wear to the classes?
- Any clothing that is comfortable to move in. Athletic shoes without black soles for most classes.
Do I need to bring my own Yoga Mat to class?
- You may bring your own mat, but it is not necessary. We have Yoga Mats to provide.
Do I need special shoes for the Spinning classes?
- No, sneakers will work just fine, but you may wear your cycling shoes to clip in if preferred.
How soon should I arrive for class?
- At least 5 minutes before the class starts, some classes fill up quickly. If this is your first class ever of that format, it's best to arrive 10 minutes early and tell the instructor so they can help you with equipment set-up.
Are Group Fitness Classes included with a membership?
- Some of the Fitness Classes are free as a benefit of paying the Campus Recreation Fee, and some classes have a small fee.
How do I sign up for a Group Fitness Class?
- If a class requires registration, you can sign-up at the Fitness and Rec Center front desk.
What Intramural sports do you offer?
- Flag Football
- Outdoor Soccer
- Indoor Soccer
- Ultimate Frisbee
- Racquetball - Squash
- 10k/5K Runs
- Inner Tube Water Polo
I want to play a sport, but don't know enough people to form a team...
- Come to the Free Agent Round Up meeting and we will do our best to get everyone on a team.
Who is eligible to play Intramurals?
- We offer a comprehensive sports program as well as a variety of special events for the athlete in everyone. University of Montana students, faculty, staff, their spouses, and former student Alumni who have paid Alumni Association dues are eligible to participate in Intramural Sports. Most special events are open to the public.
How much is it to play an Intramural Sport?
- Each team is to pay a $30 forfeit when they turn in their roster at the front desk of the Fitness and Recreation Center. At the conclusion of the season, teams that have not forfeit throughout the season will be refunded the $30 forfeit fee on their Griz Card Debit. We are only able to refund the fee on your Griz Card Debit, whether or not you paid with your Griz Card. The Griz Card Debit can be used any where on campus...for food, bookstore merchandise, tickets to plays and sporting events, Campus Recreation Fitness Punch Passes or help pay your student fees. We are sorry if this is an inconvenience. New sports added to the Intramural Program line-up include a team non-refunded team registration fee ranging between $15-$25.
How do I register a team to play?
- Register on IMLeagues.com with the University of Montana. Detailed instructions are available online!
How do I apply to be an Intramural Referee?
- One of two ways: We have a link to the application on our "official's page" on the Campus Recreation website. You can print a copy of the application off or pick one up at the front desk of the Recreation Center. After completely filling the application out, return it to the front desk of the Recreation Center to be submitted to the intramural mailbox. The intramural department typically hires for fall staff at the end of the spring semester and hires for the spring staff at the end of November and the beginning of December.
What playing format do the leagues follow?
- Leagues: have a 4 to 7 week long round-robin league followed by a single elimination tournament for all teams who do not forfeit during the regular season.
- Tournaments: Depending on the number of teams, typically we either have a single elimination or double elimination tournament.
Where are the Intramural fields/courts located?
- Dornblaser Fields - located on S. Higgins Ave. near South Ave. next to the Lady Girz Soccer Stadium. Dornblaser Fields are where some of the Intramural games are played. These sports inlude Ultimate Frisbee, Soccer and Softball.
- Riverbowl Fields: Located west of the Fitness & Recreation Center next to the Kim Williams Trail. Intramural sports include Flag Football and Softball.
- WAG Court: Located in the Adams Center on the south end of the building near the Hall of Champions.
- FRC Court: Located in the Fitness and Recreation Center on the main level.
- Schreiber Gym: Located on the Southeast corner of campus, south of the library.
Will my game be cancelled if it is raining or snowing?
- All games will be called on the field.
What's the difference between Intramurals and Club Sports?
- Club sports are funded by ASUM and team fundraising. Club teams compete against other club teams in the region. They train on a regular basis. Intramural sports are funded through the student recreation fee and are of recreational nature. Teams play against other intramural teams here on the University of Montana campus. Teams typically play one game a week and do not have practice.
How do I register for your trips or classes?
- Register at the Outdoor Program, located in the East entrance of the Fitness and Recreation Center, behind Washington Grizzly Stadium. (Limited space, please sign up early.)
Do you have to be a UM student to participate in Outdoor Program Classes and Trips?
What is your refund policy?
- Rental policy - full rental charges are required at the time of the reservation. All charges are refundable until 48 hours (2 days) prior to the reserved rental date.
- Class and trip policy - Generally full payment for a class or trip is required upon registration (this may differ for more expensive trips); part of the payment is a non-refundable deposit, the remainder of the payment is refundable until 48 hours (2 days) before the class or trip begins.
What happens if my class/trip is canceled?
- If the Outdoor Program cancels a class or trip the participants receive a full refund including any deposits.
How do I check if space is available in a class or trip?
- Call the Outdoor Program at (406) 243-5172 for the status of all Outdoor programs.
How do I apply for a job?
- Applications for employment with the Outdoor Program can be found at the ODP desk.
Who leads the trips?
- Generally, student employees lead trips. However Campus Recreation employees, faculty and staff may lead or instruct certain classes and trips.
How do I know what to bring for a trip?
- When you register for a trip or class you will receive a gear list of what you will need. Most trips and classes have a pre-trip meeting or the first class is indoors to ensure participants have all the information they need.
Does the Outdoor Program rent equipment?
- The Outdoor Program rents outdoor equipment to the UM campus community. The campus community includes: UM employees, students, & Campus Recreation Members. Griz Cards must be shown in order to rent equipment. The Outdoor Program rents boating, camping, climbing, biking, & skiing equipment. Please check our Rentals Page.
When can I climb on the Climbing Wall?
- Bouldering is available whenever the Fitness & Recreation Center is open. For Roped Climbing, please check our Climbing Wall page or call 243-2802 for hours.
What if I don't have any climbing gear?
- The climbing wall area has shoes, harnesses and belay gear for rent. Shoe rental - $3.00. Shoe & ATC rental - $4.00. Shoe, ATC, & harness - $5.00.
What if I have never climbed before?
- The Outdoor program offers beginning climbing classes, women's climbing night, and belay clinics. Please check out our Climbing Wall page.
Do I need a partner to climb on the Climbing Wall?
- The indoor wall is open for bouldering whenever the Fitness Center is open; During roped climbing hours (which are limited) climbers are required to be roped and belayed (by a partner) when climbing above the 12-foot mark.
Do I have to be in the water for my child to swim laps?
- Lap swim times are for swimmers 18 years and older. Children are welcome to swim during Recreation Swim times, but those under the age of 14 are required to have adult supervision.
Do you have pool parties available?
- Pool parties are available, call the front desk at 243-2763, and ask for the manager for availability and fees.
Do you offer swim lessons?
- We have excellent children's and adult swim lessons offered year round. Lessons during the school year are in the evenings, and run by the month. Swim lessons during the summer are offered both day and evenings.
Do you have a swim team?
- We do not have a collegiate swim team, however we have a number of other excellent programs: Missoula Aquatics is an age group team that swims at the Grizzly Pool; We have a very active Masters and adult swimming community, including triathletes, which participate in coached workouts; there are a number of UM clubs - Triathlon, Water Polo, Intramurals.
Where is the Pool located?
- The pool is located at the south end of the Adams center complex, with the entrance and parking access in the Y parking lot. The easiest approach is to follow campus drive to the south end of the football stadium and locate parking in either of the 3 nearby parking lots.
How big is the Grizzly Pool?
- The Pool is 25 yards with 7 lanes.
How many laps is a mile?
- Swimmers mile = 1650 yard, which is 66 laps, and a land mile requires 72 laps.
Do you have lifeguards?
- Lifeguards are on duty during all hours there is activity in the pool.
What are the depths of the pool?
- The pool's shallow end is 3.5 ft deep, and gradually drops to 10.5 ft. under the diving board.
What is the temperature of the pool?
- The pool temperature is 84 degrees while swim lessons are in session. If there are not swim lessons in session the pool temp is dropped to 83 degrees.
Do you have a sauna?
- We have a dry sauna on the south end of the pool. We do enforce the time in the sauna to the state regulations of no more than 20 minutes, water and scented oils are prohibited in this sauna. Hours of use are during lap swims and recreational swims.
Are you open during the holidays?
- The Grizzly Pool is open for most holidays with a limited schedule. You can call the front desk at 243-2763 or check the website for specific hours.
Do you have a weight room?
- We have a weight room that is designed for swimmer workouts. There are free weights, balance balls, a combo machine, various benches and weight bars, stretch cords, and a dip machine. Hours of use are during lap swims and recreational swims.