Accessible Navigation. Go to: Navigation Main Content Footer
Financial Aid Office - Title IV School Code: 002536
Financial Aid > Work Study

Work Study

You must file a FAFSA to be considered for work study. Work study is a type of financial aid based on need where the student works a part time job on campus, or for certain approved off-campus employers.

In general, work study is:

  • Earn-as-you-go aid - students earn money as they work the hours, rather than a single lump sum.
  • Flexible for students - students work 19 hours per week or less. Employers often allow flexibility to accommodate class schedules.
  • Not credited towards your bill - students receive a paycheck on a semi-monthly basis.

Applying for Work Study

Funding is limited and awarded on need as well as a first-come, first-served basis. Your FAFSA must be submitted early in the New Year and be processed by February 15th to be considered for a work study award.

Finding a Job

The University of Montana has an electronic job board, where you can find both work study and non-work study employment opportunities. For step-by-step instructions on using Griz eRecruiting, download the Griz eRecruiting Guide.

Summer Work Study

There are two work study programs in the summer, one of which does not require enrollment in summer school. Please contact the Financial Aid Office in January for more details on the summer programs. The 2015 Summer Work Study Only Application is now available. You must file a 2015-2016 FAFSA to be considered for Summer Work Study.

Work Study Employment Manual

Download the Work Study Employment Manual

The policies and procedures set forth in this manual are applicable only to the administration of Work-Study Programs at The University of Montana. While The University of Montana makes every effort to establish the same policies and procedures for all student employees, in some situations work-study and non-work study policies and procedures may differ.

Questions regarding The University of Montana’s work-study programs should be directed to the Financial Aid Station in Griz Central on the second floor of the Lommasson Center. Phone inquiries may be directed to the work-study area of the Financial Aid Office at 243-4224 or 243-5524. Non-work study student employment questions should be directed to Student Payroll Services in Human Resources.

Financial Aid Office
The University of Montana - Missoula
Lommasson Center 218
Missoula, MT 59812
Phone: (406) 243-5373

Fax: (406) 243-4930